Pennsic Rallies for a Legend

By Grizzly

Reporter, the Pennsic Independent

Thursday evening Og returned to Pennsic to dozens of well-wishers, cheering his name "Og! Og! Og!", waiting to present him with his brand new yurt.

Early in the first week of Pennsic, Og was force to leave due to a sudden illness. While he was recuperating, his campmate Stitch and "brother" Wolfgang of the MacPharlain Clan, hoping to cheer him up, decided to help him out by cleaning and straightening up Og's tent. Upon closer inspection of his abode they found that it had seen better days, and since it had a broken zipper and leaky roof, the only option was a new tent. With no new tents to be found, they spoke to Lord Valadar of Sparrowhawk from Great American Yurts, to see how much a yurt might cost. When he heard it was for Og, Valadar told them he was willing to make a special deal, half price, $800 for a brand new yurt.

Stitch and Wolfgang decided to take up a collection, passing the hat, or in this case Og's Helmet. As he walked through camp with Og's helmet and club, Wolfgang said, "the true spirit of Pennsic came out." Everyone wanted to donate; children chased them down to throw pennies in the hat for Og even after their parents had already put in money. StitchÕs son Dragon and his friends stood on Beggars' Row giving hugs in exchange for donations for Og. Several people went around collecting for the cause.

While they initially only hoped to get some portion of the cost of the yurt deferred by donations, Stitch and Wolfgang found that within a few hours they had collected in excess of $1200, more than enough for the yurt, and money was still coming. In the end they had collected over $1500, enough for the yurt, a new bed, a door and shelves. The money that was left over was presented to Og to help offset his medical expenses.

The walls of the yurt were taken to locations around Pennsic for people to sign. The top portion, the "wheel," was brought to the Pennsic Independent for the staff to sign.

When his friends learned that Og would return Thursday evening, there was a mad dash to get the tent set up, the bed made, and all of his belongings organized and placed inside before his return. Pennsic Independent staff artist Muirne painted a plaque with Og's face on it for his door. The final touch was to place Og's own plaque reading, "Relinquite spem omnes qui hic intratis," [sic] on the threshold.

As the work was being finished, word came that he was on his way. People began wandering in to Og's camp about that time, wanting to be there to welcome him home. More and more showed up, and it wasn't long before there were several dozen people crowded into the camps common tent waiting to welcome Og.

As the car came in to view, Wolfgang stepped onto the road, holding Og's club high and, with everyone joining in, he chanted, "Og!Og!Og!"
Og's face was aglow with a big smile as he walked up and saw his new tent. His helmet filled with get-well cards was presented to him. He gratefully accepted his gifts and, overcome with emotion, announced he wanted to thank everyone for what they had done.

Stitch and Wolfgang added, "God bless the people of Pennsic! We can't thank you enough!"


Article Type: 


I just found out about this,

I just found out about this, and I feel proud to be a part of a group who cares so much.

Makes me wish I had been there to help.