Battle of Champions

By Uilleam Friseal
Battlefield Reporter,
Pennsic Independent

Prior to muster, armies convened under their Kings and Queens to receive words of inspiration. Following a brief instruction from Marshals, all fighters took their positions. They began to chant and beat their shields, as they readied themselves to charge. At the cannon, fighters from the Grand Alliance raced to meet their waiting foe. The charge was quickly pushed back by a dense shield wall, which marched strong and managed to push directly to the flag for the first capture for the Allied Kingdoms.
Fighters and Marshals cooperated to reset the field as quickly as possible. “Lay on” was called, and both armies quickly advanced to meet in the center of the field. Again, with the power of strong formations, the forces from the Allied Kingdoms were able to quickly push their foes back to their flag, allowing the needed chance to capture their second flag.
The commanders of the Allied Kingdoms seemed to have drilled formation into the minds of their soldiers, as strong shield walls and spears worked together. However, the Grand Alliance found a weak point and launched a powerful counter attack, causing the wall to crumble. Following a ferocious assault at their enemies’ flag, the Grand Alliance captured their first flag.
With a new strategy, the Grand Alliance was able to blitz through their enemies’ lines and capture another flag within moments of the call to lay on.
Following the upset of the previous bout, the Allied Kingdoms sprinted to meet their combatants before they could begin to charge. However, the Grand Alliance stood strong and began to move as one unit to push their enemies all the way back to their flag. After an intense skirmish another flag was captured for the Grand Alliance.
Armies sprinted to meet each other near the center line for an intense encounter. Whether planned or not, it was an effective strategy for the Allied Kingdoms, who were able to use the confusion to slip a scout through in order to capture yet another flag. As the flag was captured, a medical hold was called, and a fighter was escorted from the field for a minor injury.
Field reset took almost no time as soldiers moved quickly to ensure as much fighting as possible. Seconds after the next bout began, another brief hold was called to ensure fallen fighters were uninjured. After the hold, fighting became intensely aggressive around the Grand Alliance flag, allowing for another capture and an even score.
With an even number of flags for both armies, they switched back to defensive tactics in an attempt to keep things close. Holding tight formations, the Allied Kingdoms slowly pushed the fight to their enemies’ flag. Once there, it was only moments before a scout was seen sprinting back with another captured flag. On his way, the scout hit the ground hard and a brief medical hold was called to ensure the fighters’ safety. Once the scout stood, “lay on” was called and the flag was captured.
With “lay on” called, the Grand Alliance sent a blitz unit to breach the enemies shield wall. With the line broken, armies split into attack and defense units. The Allied Kingdoms stopped the blitz, but were unable to stop a scout from slipping through and capturing another flag.
Armies reverted to tactics from earlier in the battle, both taking heavy defensive formations, meeting in the middle of the field with a thunderous clash. The fighters endured the longest bout of the battle, but slowly fatigue set in and the Grand Alliance reformed their strong line and pushed hard to take one of the final flags.
Marshals announced the last bout and fighters immediately began war cries and pounding their shields like drums, gathering the last of their strength to make their enemies work for victory. With all the built up energy, the armies met near the middle of the battlefield and held unyielding formations. However, an unnoticed flank opened and a small unit from the Grand Alliance took the opportunity to sneak past the fighting and move to take the undefended flag. Before the flag could be captured, a cannon blast signaled the end of the battle.
Following the battle, Marshals confirmed that the Grand Alliance had won the War Point.
Fight with honor. Die with Valor. Arise and rejoice with your friends.

Article Type: